I believe that orthodontics cannot only be a great service to health, but also a life-changing cosmetic procedure. The goals of ideal treatment are similar for people of all ages: properly positioned jaw joints and beautifully aligned teeth that fit in harmony and promote healthy gum and bone tissues, appropriate airways, efficient chewing, and good lip support and facial balance.
Every patient is unique and has a special set of problems. Therefore, a personalized diagnosis and treatment plan is crucial. Proper planning can yield shortened treatment times, better results, and greater post-treatment stability. Long-term oral health is our primary goal, and we stop at nothing to achieve this for each of our patients.
Education and Continuing Education
I began my undergraduate career in 1969 at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. After receiving my bachelor’s degree in 1973, I stayed on to attend the university’s College of Dentistry. I earned my Doctorate of Dental Surgery in 1977.
Before I became an orthodontist, I was a dentist for 10 years at the Fort Collins Pierre Fauchard Academy. I completed my orthodontic residency at West Virginia University in Morgantown, where I earned a Master of Science and certificate in orthodontics in 1989.
I am a lifelong learner and educator in my field. I enjoy speaking nationally and internationally on topics that relate to conventional orthodontics, surgical orthodontics, pediatric and adult obstructive sleep apnea, and TM joint health and dysfunction. I also present on topics relating to Cone Beam CT and the importance of an extremely thorough initial examination and comprehensive diagnosis.
Awards and Memberships
- American Academy of Oral Medicine, Certificate of Merit for outstanding achievement, proficiency, and promise in the field of oral medicine, 1977
- Phi Kappa Phi, Graduate School Honor Society, 1989
- Pierre Fauchard Academy, fellow
- College of Diplomates of the American Board of Orthodontics
- Arnett Multidisciplinary Foundation/ Orthognathic Surgery, board member
- Larimer County Dental Society
- American Dental Association
- American Academy of Oral Medicine
- American Association of Orthodontists
- Roth Williams International Society of Orthodontists
Outside the Office
I grew up in a very small community in Southeast Nebraska, where I learned to value both community and family. I was surrounded and supported by my parents, two sisters, and all four of my grandparents. I considered my childhood idyllic and have worked to give my two children the same feeling.
I have been happily married for more than 35 years to my wife, Dr. Cindi Way. We enjoy the outdoors, traveling, and spending time together at our cabin in Roosevelt National Forest.